Monday, September 3, 2012

Service - Involvement with the Rotaract club of Colombo

During the summer I was informed by my cousin Hussain Akbarally that the Rotaract club of Colombo was organizing a charity event in the aim of helping less fortunate children in the North of the country. These children had suffered as a result of the civil war that tormented the lives of many for a period of almost 30 years. To this day children are orphaned and are being looked after in an environment lacking very basic luxuries that we often take for granted.
The event was a premier of a movie and by spreading the word across colleagues in school and the community in Colombo I was able to raise Rs. 10,000 through ticket sales as well as sponsorships from individual families.
Although the event wasn't interactive (spending time with less fortunate children) I believe I was helping spread awareness as I emphasized the importance of helping the less fortunate to community so much larger than the school.
Above is the poster for the Sri Lankan premier of the Dark Knight rises which took place on the 1st of September.

No comments:

Post a Comment