Sunday, February 17, 2013

Creativity - Hosting the osc oscars

For creativity this semester I initially committed only to the school play but I realised that more opportunities would arise and it would be up to me to take them. A fine example was the hosting of the Osc Oscars which is a night where most students are accredited and awarded for skills intended to amuse each of us. The tradition has always been for two students to host the event and present all the awards. This job however entailed a lot more creativity than I had presumed hence I was compelled to volunteer for it with Giorgio, my classmate. The idea of inventing my own jokes as a means of entertaining the entire secondary school was exciting for me as it would enable me to connect with everyone in our society and bring them a sense of humour in these stressful times that we find very little amusement in.

This experience helped me develop new skills as I was entertaining people without being in character as we usually are when we act on stage. This was an unusual feeling for me as I had to be myself in front of an audience without a script for the majority of the act. It helped me understand and appreciate the difficulty of hosting events like we see on television and although the views gain nothing but amusement, the people on the spot have a much more challenging and sometimes stressful job.

The experience was a true test of collaboration as I was had to co-host an event with another student. As most of the act was without a script, we had to ensure that we each had our own contributions and didn't overlap each other. Instead we hoped to aid each other and act like two voices in unison so as to gain more appreciation from the audience. We achieved this by allocating different sections of the awards ceremony to each other and evening the the amount said by each person. We also prepared a little skit for the opening monologue of the Oscars (The only part where we used a script) which required collaborative preparation when writing the script.

The preparation helped me meet the learning outcome of planning and initiating. The opening monologue was a poem with a musical element to it which featured rhymes and elements of modern comedy. The monologue was challenging to create as we wanted to do something unusual. We had a segment that was dedicated to the event itself and the grandness and glamour of the Oscars. This featured more Musial elements. The second part however was a spoken poem in verse that was said by alternating the lines so one person would say a line and the other would follow after and so on. This segment was dedicated to academics and our jokes were targeting our students and teachers in a friendly way that even they would appreciate. We knew it was successful as the crowd response was very positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment